July 16, 2015 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm (EST)
Retail Council of Canada (RCC), in partnership with WCG International Consultants Ltd., conducted a member survey to identify training and development benchmarks. Over 50 retail-training professionals participated in this survey representing retailers of all sizes throughout Canada. Overall, the results show employee training and development is a key tool used by retailers to improve staff and store effectiveness and to improve employee engagement.
Lessons learned from the survey:
1. A shortage of skilled candidates exists to meet retailer’s recruitment needs
2. Attitude and soft skills are priorities in the recruitment and selection process
3. The focus of training currently delivered is operational in nature with a focus towards policy and procedures and management development
4. Post-Secondary education is seen as a nice-to-have, but not a requirement for retail positions. Respondent’s also support continuing education initiatives for employees.
5. e-Learning and Classroom are the predominant methods of training for retailers